IJ Scan Utility is software which runs on both kinds of operating systems i.e., Windows / Mac. It’s a multifunctional application as with this you can scan documents as well as photos. By using this utility software, you can personalize the scan settings such as the scan size resolution, data format, color mode etc.
It also consists of an auto-scan feature that automatically detects whether a document or photo is placed on the scanner glass and all the scan settings will get accordingly selected.
This guide will help in installing the utility software and access its main interface to perform scanning.
Installing IJ Scan Utility Software
There are two ways to install scan utility software on your system. In case you have a software CD, you can insert CD to install it. If you don’t have CD then you can set up the software by launching the canon support page.
- Visit the site: usa.canon.com/support where you will be required to provide your printer or scanner model. In case you forgot the username, you can check it at the label on the backside of the device.
- After typing the name, your printer model will be displayed on the list. Select it.
- Now click on the Drivers and Downloads tab. The ij scan utility software comes in-built with the MP drivers package.
- In case you are installing the software on Windows, select the right windows version. Alternatively, select Mac.
- Now click Select -> Download as this will start downloading the setup file.
- To install the software, you need to double-click the file and the main screen of the program will appear.
- Now you have to create a connection between your computer and the printer or scanner, select the MP drivers checkbox and the installation will begin.
- Insert the CD into the CD-ROM drive which is supplied to you by service provider. A setup dialog box will be displayed on your computer screen.
- Now click Setup and main program window will be displayed.
- Attach a USB cable to both the devices to establish a connection. You can also focus on developing wireless connection incase your printer supports it.
- If your printer supports wireless connection, you can establish it.
- When software list gets displayed, make sure you have checked marked the MP drivers as it includes the Canon IJ Scan Utility software.
- Click Yes when license agreement windows gets displayed then installation will start.
- Click Finish when it gets finished.
Open the Main Configuration Page of Canon ij scan utility
- Go to Start Menu and type Canon Utilities in search bar and same folder will be shown to you.
- Click on the down-arrow key mentioned beside the ‘Canon Utilities’ folder.
- All the utility softwares which are already installed with the driver package will be displayed.
- Select ij scan utility and the main window will be displayed consisting of various options such as Auto Scan, Document, Photo, OCR, Email etc.
- First, click Go which is mentioned on the top of the desktop screen. All possible list will be displayed.
- Select the Applications folder and all the installed apps will be displayed on the screen.
- Find ‘Canon Utilities’ folder from the displayed list. After finding the folder, select it.
Steps to scan the larger images using the Stitch function
Ij Scan Utility consists of the Stitch function which helps users in scanning images bigger than the platen and users can merge both halves of an image and convert it into a single one.
- Follow the given steps –
- Run Ij Scan Utility and tap on the Settings tab. Set the resolution and item type accordingly and click OK.
- Now, choose the Stitch option and the Image Stitch window will be displayed.
- After this, you have to select the output size according to the size of paper you would place on the glass.
- To move further, place your cursor in the Scan Direction Field and select it as ‘Scan from left’. Then, place the item on the platen facing downwards.
- Now, choose Start Scanning Image 1. This will scan only one-half of the image which you have placed on the left corner of the glass.
- Now, place the other side of the image on the left corner of the glass and click Start Scanning Image 2.
- Now, you have to merge both sides of the image as both halves are now scanned.
- To do this, you can use the toolbars mentioned at the top to rotate the images, zoom in/out and move the images for adjusting their positions.
- Click Save after combining the image.